Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Here are some of my daily thoughts as of late:

1. I am turning into my mother. I used to be embarrassed when my family would be at a sporting event or watching a game on tv and my mom would yell out either encouragement or criticism to the players, as if she and Pudge Rodriguez were best friends. Watching the NCAA men's basketball national championship game on Monday night, I turned into my mother. I was telling Joey Dorsey to keep his feet planted to get the charge. I was telling CDR, "sweetheart, you've got to make those three's!!" I was telling Antonio Anderson that he did a great job, and he should be getting more of the lime light. Of course, my pleadings to the television set did not help my Tigers, but I sure did feel like I was part of the game.

2. I have moments when I am very pretentious. This is definitely a character flaw, and I'm trying to work on it. There is a de-motivator poster that reads, "The problem with being the best is that everyone else thinks you're pretentious." I say this because when I was at the Y on Tuesday morning doing my cross-training (part of my 10k training plan), the man who was on duty came over and said, "Now, Miss Megan, you're supposed to keep your back straight on that machine." That machine was an ergometer, a rowing machine, a machine that I had spent many, many, many, many hours on in college while on the rowing team. I smiled and said, "Oh, I rowed in college, and I know what I'm doing." He looked taken aback, and I thought I probably sounded rude, so I went on to explain over the next five minutes how you are supposed to erg, (legs, abs, back, shoulders, arms) and how during a lay-back (the point at which he said my back should have been straight) you need to have leverage to get the oar out of the water. He kept looking at me strangely, so I demonstrated how the lady before me had been erging and why that was wrong, and she probably could have injured herself. Needless to say, I was telling the person who worked at the Y how to use the equipment at the Y. I spent the next 25 minutes of my workout thinking how I should have just smiled and said "thank you" when he came over at first. When I came home and told my husband that story, he remarked how I have only been a member at the Y for a month, and I am already telling people how to do their jobs.

No comments: