Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Top questions a new mother answers...

I know I am so incredibly overdue on a Jon post, but I don't have access to pictures right this moment. I will post pictures of him soon!

In the meantime, I thought I would share the questions that I answer multiple times each week. Sometimes asked by friends, sometimes by complete strangers. I was amazed at what people asked when I was pregnant, and I have learned that the questions don't stop when you have the baby : ) I don't mind answering these questions for friends and family members, but the folks at the grocery store are a bit much!

1. How old is your baby?
Followed by... Wow! He's big! This is what happens when your kid is in the 97th percentile for height and the 85th percentile for weight.

2. Are you nursing/breastfeeding?
I am still shocked that people ask this question - it seems so private. When I answer yes, the questioner usually sighs a big sigh of relief and says "Oh good." What would they say if I was not breast feeding??

3. Are you working?
This is usually said with a furrowed brow. I respond that I've been back at work since buddy was 8 weeks old and it is going great!

4. Who is watching the baby while you are at work?
This is also usually said with a furrowed brow, and then a sigh of relief when I report that my husband is watching the baby while searching for a job. Again, what would people say if the little guy was in daycare?

5. What are those spots?
This is usually asked by the under 6 crowd...or at work by the under 18 crowd. It is lovely hormonal acne that started when I became pregnant and probably won't go away until I stop breast feeding and go on some pretty severe medication. I tell Jon every day that he is worth it, although I will be very glad when my skin stops looking like I have a disease.

6. Was he planned?
Yes...yes, I have been asked this question. By someone I just met : ) Oh well...yes, our little blessing was planned as much as we could plan for him. Although I could never have planned for the amount my heart grew when he came into our family!

1 comment:

Stacey Hays said...

#2,3 and 4 get on my nerves...but I'm sure I ask those same questions of other people...we should have a play date soon!