Monday, November 3, 2008

More running updates

I know all I do is write about running/training for the half marathon. I have had two good weeks of running and felt the need to share! Two Saturdays ago, we ran 8 miles, our longest run yet, and it went really well. We ran through Overton Park and the Vollintine-Evergreen neighborhood, chatting about the economy, the election, real estate, dog breeds, etc. Last Saturday we ran 6 miles, and we went an hour running without any walk breaks - the longest I have ever gone in a single stretch. We took a different route this time, heading downtown, and then turning South. I'm not sure if Becky had this thought as we continued going southward, but I definitely thought, "You know, Barry, I'm not sure I want to be in South Memphis at 6am the day after Halloween...." Our unusual route made sense, though, as we turned onto a street with large, old homes and Barry gave us a short history of Memphis during the Civil War and the ghosts that allegedly haunt the old homes. So I got 6 miles under my belt and a history lesson all before most people wake up on Saturdays. The best part about Saturday's run was that I felt great through the whole thing - no pains, no heavy breathing, no 'why on earth did I get up at 5:15am to do this???' I ended Saturday's run thinking, "I might actually turn into a runner after all."

Next week I am responsible for running 6 miles on my own since I'll be out of town. I need to call my sister-in-law this week and see if she wants to run with me. I still do not have the mental capacity to run for an hour by myself! Then the following week we run 10 miles. I might treat myself to a pedicure for running 10 miles...

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

Mainly, I was thinking how glad I was the sun was about to come up (as opposed to go down) as he was regaling us with Civil War ghost stories. I'm easily spooked! But it was a really good run. :)

(I'm pretty nervous about the 10 miles, though...)