Friday, November 21, 2008

Our newest crazy endeavor...

So, to be just a bit more counter culture (we are hardly counter culture as we would probably die if someone took away my blackberry and his iPhone), Jonathan has unplugged our tv. There is a long story including an argument in there, but pretty much we were spending too much time vegging out in front of the tube - and we don't even have cable. So in an act of emotion, the tv was unplugged Tuesday night, and it hasn't been plugged back in. We at first thought we might plug it in again last night to watch The Office, then thought "I wonder how long we can pull this off?" Thankfully I didn't miss the TV that much last night because I spent a good bit of the evening preparing dinner, taking a long shower after my run and talking to a friend on the phone. Maybe going sans television will help with the ADD I posted about last week.

Just as a point of full disclosure, I am totally the one in the household who watches too much tv. I often don't care what I'm watching, I just need to zone out. So this experiment will help me find other ways to relax besides turning off my brain completely.

In addition to making me interact more with reality, the no tv rule has helped me look at unnecessary electricity usage. The following things are plugged into electrical outlets currently at my apartment: living room lamp, office lamp, alarm clock in bedroom, cell phone charger, stereo in bedroom, and refrigerator. Really the only thing that needs to remain plugged in is the fridge. Okay, assignment for the weekend is to unplug everything else...and engage in fun activities with my husband that do not involve tv watching.

3 comments:

Domestic Kate said...

I so admire you. I'm contemplating getting rid of the cable right now. Baby steps... :)

Kyle and Matt Still said...

Hey Megan!
I found your blog through Katies! Way to go! Tv at our house is definately an addiction. We could definately use a little less of it!!

Megan said...

I must admit that I almost plugged it back in last night to watch Brothers and Sisters!!! But I rose above and folded laundry with my hubby instead :)