Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mile Markers

On my 25th birthday I confessed my new secret desire to Becky, "Let's run a marathon!" We walked three miles later that month and thought we were going to die.

On my 26th birthday, I could run a mile without stopping, but I thought I was going to die in the process and I needed a running buddy with me.

On my 27th birthday, I ran 3 miles by myself without stopping and with mild to moderate effort. Although I have finished two half-marathons, this is the first time I have run 3 miles straight without the crutch of a running buddy or a treadmill.

Am I slow? Yes.
Am I going to really run a marathon one day? Maybe.
Am I very proud of my little accomplishment yesterday? Yes!!

That was my birthday present to myself: being fit enough to run the 3 miles by myself and enjoying the run!

My husband's birthday present to me was a new Vera Bradley bag in 'daisy daisy.' : ) I am trying to decide which gift I like more!

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

Aw, it was a milestone, Meg! I talked to my mom this morning and she commented that it had only been a month since the half-marathon. A month! It seems like years! Despite our collective moaning about how we let ourselves get off our schedule, we actually are doing incredibly well compared to this time last year...

So congrats (again)! I didn't quite make it to 3 last night...I did make it three times around the park, though, which is pretty close. We've come a long way. :)