Sunday, January 25, 2009

MRTC XC Series #2

This afternoon was the 5k of the cross country series, and Becky, Erin and I headed out to the Stanky Creek Trails in Bartlett to participate with all the other crazies! It was very cold, and I wore lots of layers, none particularly matching! This was my first race wearing my 'Run Midtown' shirt, but I had a fleece vest over it, so no one could see my Midtown pride.

The race was pretty hard, but also fun! Running on trails is a pretty hefty mental exercise for me, since you have to watch the ground to place each foot 'just so' as not to fall or twist a knee or ankle. I fell once, quite early into the course, but it was very minor and I came away without any scrapes or sprains. And really, shouldn't everyone finish a trail race with some mud on their pants? The course had short but frequent dips into creek banks, and they always seemed to come in pairs! We passed and were passed, saw a few injuries and one crying child. I didn't beat the folks I wanted to, but I did finish pretty strong. Becky and I led a pack through most of the trail, and then every single one of them passed us in the last quarter mile. I had an inkling of what it felt like to be a team mate of Lance Armstrong, or the poor Ethiopian who finished fourth in the Olympic marathon.

I have a bit more conditioning to build up in the next two weeks before the 8k+, but I'm looking forward to it! I also finally bought trail shoes this evening. Bright red! I think I shall call them my ruby trail slippers : )

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

YAY for trail shoes!! I think you will definitely be happy you bought them. God, only 2 weeks until the 8K now. We've got a ways to go! :)