Friday, April 3, 2009

Breast Cancer 3 Day


Some of you may have noticed the 'widget' on the right side of the blog about the Breast Cancer 3 Day. What in the world is that? The 3 Day is an event to raise funds for breast cancer research, raise awareness about breast cancer, and honor those women and men who have fought the disease. I am blessed in that I do not have breast cancer, and none of my family members has had breast cancer. I assume that there are a few of you reading this who cannot say the same thing. My 'family' of friends has been affected by this disease. Some have survived while others have lost their battle. I decided to participate in this event because it is something that I can do, with my two feet (literally) to help win the fight against breast cancer.

Here are some details about breast cancer:
- One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Breast cancer knows no boundaries – be it age, gender, socio-economic status or geographic location.
- The greatest risk factors for breast cancer are being female and growing older.
- Early detection and effective treatment for breast cancer have been shown to improve survival.
- Making healthy lifestyle choices may reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- There are 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. today.
- Breast cancer affects more than just the patient – co-survivors (friends, family and co-workers) need support, too.

Here are some more details about the event:

  • The 3 Day is in Dallas/Ft. Worth November 6-8th 2009.
  • We will walk a total of 60 miles over the course of three days.
  • I will be walking with my mother, my sister, and one of my sister's friends.
  • Thousands of women and men participate each year, and after we walk all day, we will camp out in pink tents all together before rising the next day to walk some more : )

Here are some details about fundraising:

  • The minimum amount I must raise to participate is $2300.
  • Donations are tax-deductable.
  • Donations can be made on-line, by phone, or by mail.
  • To donate online, click on the widget at the top right of this page.
  • To donate by phone, call 800.996.3DAY. My personal # is 3211253.
  • To donate by mail, ask me for a donation form!
  • Net proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure and National Philanthropic Trust, funding important breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment.

I have a long way to go, both in fundraising and training, and I hope you will join me in this journey!

No comments: