Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baby steps

I took a very small but significant step in making San Marcos my new home. Yesterday, I stopped listening to WKNO on my iPhone and started listening to KUT. Granted, I am listening to the same NPR programs, but now instead of Memphis traffic, weather, and community announcements, I get Austin traffic, weather, and community announcements. At first, it was comforting to hear the same voices I have listened to for several years telling me that Memphis is having rather wonderful weather right now, but I had to face reality and make the switch. Just in case you were wondering, it is significantly hotter in central Texas than it is in west Tennessee currently ; )

Each room of our small apartment is still about 1/4-1/3 filled with boxes that I have not had the desire the unpack. I unpacked all of the stuff we needed for daily living, and then I had no motivation to unpack the rest. The move was a bit harder than I anticipated, and the shift from full time working mom to full time mom has been significantly more difficult that I thought it would be. I actually had a dream in which I asked my former boss if he would hire me back. I told him that I didn't need my same job back, since I didn't want to kick the new person out of a job, but I just asked him if there was something I could do. I think that the transition to stay-at-home-mom is more difficult since we are in a brand new place where we do not know anyone. I had a pity party for myself last week, in which I kept thinking, "If we were in Memphis, I would live across the street from the zoo, and I would have 'Mom' Bible studies at church, and I would have dinner club with my friends, and I would have my best friend to run with, etc." Dwelling on the 'ifs' does not make integrating into a new community very easy.

After several days of that, I decided I needed a significant attitude adjustment. My sweet husband ran with me Saturday morning. Yes, you read that correctly. Jonathan ran with me Saturday morning. And, of course, he runs faster that I do. I have been a pretty consistent 11 or 12 minute per mile runner for four years, and on his first time out, I'm thinking Jonathan was keeping up at 9 or 10 minute per mile pace. Needless to say, I gave him the jogging stroller, and I tried to keep up with him. Sunday we visited a church that we may end up attending regularly. Monday I switched radio stations. And today, well, today I think I am going to tackle the rest of the boxes in the living room.

There was an announcement in the church bulletin about mentors needed for foster kids in the community, so I think I will check that out. I have also signed up to help out my alma mater with fund raising (don't kill me when I call you, fellow Rhodents!) and new student recruitment. Jonathan came to toddler story time with Jon and me this morning at the library. So things are improving. I still miss Memphis very much (my friends, my church, my job, my apartment), but I need to see the potential in my new home.

I will post pictures soon, I promise : )

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

What a fantastic blog! You lifted my spirits. :) You'll probably be moving to the next place before I've stopped telling you that all of this is a huge change. All of the things and people you miss miss you right back! :( But regardless of where you are or what you're doing, I just want you to be happy, and it sounds like things are at the very least looking up a tiny bit. And for that, I'm very grateful (even if I'm still convinced you're going to come back here running a 10-minute mile and I'll never be able to keep up with you!). :)

Can't wait to see pictures! And you can call me for fundraising, but since you know my thoughts on that, we can talk about something else and then I'll let you down easy. Ha! :D