Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jon!

Yes, all of the cliches are true:
Having a baby changes your life.
Time flies!
They grow up so fast, etc.

This year has gone by so quickly, yet it is hard to remember my hefty, semi-independent little boy as a 9 pound, squirmy bundle. We are so thankful for our little guy, who is sweet and happy and cute and...I could go on and on : ) We had Jon's birthday party on the 22nd (so thankful we did - Jon and most of his party guests were sick on the 29th!) and I will post about that later. Below is what we did on Jon's birthday, the 28th:



8am
Time to wake up! Jon was actually up at about 7:15am, but I needed a shower, so he played in his crib until I came to get him at 8am for breakfast. These days he eats baby oatmeal with a banana or blueberries mixed in along with an 8 oz. sippy cup of milk. Yes! Real milk! Even though I buy to organic stuff, it is still soooooooo much less expensive than formula.





9am
Jon 'helps' me unload and reload the dishwasher. I have learned to take the sharp objects out before he realizes I have opened the dishwasher. He especially likes closing the door when we are done.







9:30am
Going to run some errands! Probably our last picture of a rear-facing car seat.









9:50am
Getting some fabric at Hobby Lobby for a couple of projects. Green seersucker was on clearance, and I see some shortalls in his future - we will bring a little Memphis to Central Texas! Those two fingers are in their usual place.








10:30am
Playing with blocks at library story time! Today the stories we listened to were about being sick - a barnyard full of sick animals and a guinea pig who had to go to the doctor for eating too much chocolate : ) After the story, there are tons of toys for the kiddos to play with. It is also a great place to start teaching Jon manners - like not stealing toys and being gentle. We also sing songs and learn some sign language. I am so glad we have this activity twice a week!





12:30pm
After a nap back at home, it is time for lunch! For his birthday, Jon had spaghetti (parents' dinner from the night before), cheese, a clementine, and milk. The second picture is of Jon's new fine motor skill: putting small bits of food on the spout of his sippy cup. His father may have something to do with this new habit....




1:30pm
In this picture, Jon is pointing to our cat, Sigma, and squealing. Sigma is hissing. Such a sad tale of unrequited love : (








2pm
I found out Jon has another new skill: opening sliding screen doors! Did this the first time on his first birthday - yay : ) Since our screen doors do not have locks on them, this new skill will make the next several months lots of fun around here. I love having fresh air in the apartment, and our only windows are sliding doors. Thankfully they make a noise when opened, so I'm keeping my ears open for the telltale sound.




5:30pm
After another nap and a snack of a banana, rice chex and water, Jonathan is now home from work and he and Jon play with some plastic cups on our bed. Jon loves playing on our bed, because he can flop all over the place into the comforter and pillows. A whole living room full of toys, and Jon loves playing with the cat, the sliding screen doors, and plastic cups!


7pm
We decided to go out for dinner to celebrate making it one year as parents. Our original plan was to go somewhere with margaritas, but our fav mexican place doesn't sell them, so we opted for the pizza place down the street and a pitcher of Shiner Boch. It is great to have so many things within walking distance from our apartment!





7:30pm
Jon had his first taste of pizza! Well, pizza crust with tomato sauce, and some green bell peppers. He enjoyed his dinner of black beans, avocado, another clementine, cheerios and milk.





8:15pm
Back home, getting ready for bed.






So that was our day! I was not far behind Jon in getting into bed, because a 4-mile run awaited me in the morning. I am thankful for a happy, healthy, one-year-old who keeps me running around every day!



3 comments:

Becky Heineke said...

I think is maybe my favorite blog entry you've ever posted. Thank you so much for sharing all of this!! Jon and Sigma made me laugh quite heartily. ;D Glad he had such a great first birthday!!!! (And that you and Jonathan had a great day that day, too. :))

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Happy birthday Jon!! Did you cut his hair? He's such a cutie!

Megan said...

Yes, Amber - he did get a hair cut on Thursday before his birthday. I did not cut it (thankfully)! We took him to an old local place, and he sat on Jonathan's lap during the cut. Pics are on Jonathan's phone, so I need to get them from him to post on the blog. Still getting used to the haircut. I miss his curls, but it was getting a bit out of control!