Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, Wives :: Texas Monthly

Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, Wives :: Texas Monthly


I wanted to pass along an article about the craziness that has been happening in women's healthcare over the past two years in Texas.  Access to general, preventative health care for poor women in Texas has almost all but been wiped out by our current legislature, senate, and governor.  Since I spend more on my health care premium than I do on rent each month, I am very concerned about affordable access to health care.  All of these decisions were made in the name of reducing abortions in the state.  I think most people reading this know my personal feelings, but here they are just in case: I am morally opposed to abortion, because I do believe that life begins at conception.  I am also morally opposed to a lot of other things that are perfectly legal.  While I wish we didn't have abortions, I understand that providing safe access to abortions is important for those women who choose to have them.  I also think that spending time trying to outlaw abortion is a complete and utter waste of time, energy, and resources.  More time, energy, and resources should be spent on preventing the need for abortions, e.g. increased real availability of contraception, increased education (not just about sex, but about everything), increased support for women who choose to have their babies, and automatic, mandatory child support for men/boys who impregnate women.  I'll stop writing, because the article is long enough.  : )  It's long, but it is worth the read.  

No comments: