Sunday, August 24, 2008

5 miles

Becky and I finally moved past our plateau and finished the Overton Park 5-mile Classic yesterday! I will not lie; I took two big walk breaks. Even with the walk breaks, I finished in an hour, at just over a 12-minute pace. Our first two miles were at an 11:40 pace, and our last mile was about the same, so although we didn't have a negative split, we were able to push through at the end. This is greatly due to the hill work and speed work we have done with the Women Run program through MRTC. Those practices have taught us how to run on tired legs, and I know for me the training paid off. We were lapped by the folks who finished first, and although it's never fun to be lapped, it was exciting to cheer for the winners as they passed us and marvel at their bodies keeping 5 minute paces. We finished last in our age group, but I still feel like it was one of the best races I have run!

No comments: