Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wedding Weekend!

Last weekend was a Pollock family wedding, and we had a ton of fun! Thursday afternoon, my Mom and Dad drove in from Dallas, picked up Jonathan and me, and we headed up to Lacrosse, Wisconsin. On the way, we stopped in at Lambert's (home of the throwed rolls) and ate way too much food!! But honestly, when someone yells "HOT ROLLS" you cannot help but throw your hands up in the air : ) We arrived in Wisconsin Friday late afternoon, dropped our stuff at the hotel and went to my aunt and uncle's home for bbq and family time. I LOVE my family, l-o-v-e them! We are all strewn about the country, so we only get to see one another at weddings and funerals and occasional family reunions. The last time we were all together was August 2006 for my grandfather's 80th birthday party. Of course, a Pollock family gathering would not be complete without some political banter and when-are-you-going-to-give-us-some-babies conversation. My Great Uncle Archie asked me what I was going to do when I get my Master's Degree, and I told him "make babies," to which he gave me a big hug. (There are no children past my generation yet in the family). The Pollock women presented Kate, the bride, with a basket containing the family cookbook, various kitchen utensils, and all of the random ingredients one needs to make the stuff from the cookbook. My contribution was a bottle of Corky's BBQ sauce and fluted cookie cutters (for my favorite recipe - jam tarts).

Saturday morning I got a pedicure with my cousins Lauren and Maggie, Aunt Mary, and Mom. Then my sister Katie, her boyfriend Navy Scott (my brother's name is Scott....so I have Brother Scott and Navy Scott), Dad, and Jonathan joined us for lunch at a cute little coffee shop. Then back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding.

The wedding was beautiful and tailored very well to the bride (Kate) and groom (cousin Nate). They are both musical and there was a lot of music, performed by the college choir Kate was formerly in. The girls were beautiful, the boys were handsome - great wedding! The reception was a lot of fun, and it served as another mini-reunion for the Pollock clan. I think the hit was when Aunt Mary pulled out a mini bottle of Jack and then proceeded to pass out more mini bottles she had stashed in her purse. Cousin Andrew also shared the Jack from his hip flask. Ah, yes, my family.... Can you expect the Scotch-Irish to celebrate without whiskey? Honestly! Post wedding we switched clothes and headed to the bowling alley for more fun : ) I think bowling should be like golf - lowest score wins!

Sunday morning we said goodbye to my sister and Navy Scott, and then attended a present opening with the bride and groom. I think this must be a midwestern thing - we did not have a present-opening reception the day after the wedding, but the three weddings I have been to in the midwest all had these. Thoughts? Nate and Kate will have a very nice home with their gifts, and they were very cute opening everything to "ooo's" and "ahhhh's." We headed to my aunt and uncle's home for an afternoon of knitting, playing games, taking naps, and general goofing off. We went to see a movie together and then played more games!

Monday morning, Jonathan, Mom, Aunt Sue, Cousin Joshua and I went to Noah's Ark, the largest waterpark in America. We had a lot of fun, and everyone laughed at me because I get very scared on any type of amusement/water park type rides. Unfortunately the day ended early due to a thunderstorm, but we still had a fun day getting to play. Monday evening we took my Gran and Grandfather on a river cruise of the Mississippi and celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. It was relaxing and great to spend the time with everyone. Of course we headed for ice cream afterward, and then back to Aunt Sue and Uncle Earl's house for more games.

Tuesday morning we had brunch with the family before making our way back to Memphis. A nice end to a long weekend of fun!

I have a bit of the first-day-back-from-vacation blues, but I am trying to be happy : ) I will try to post some pictures from the weekend later on tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, it's late, I'm punchy (thus prone to laughter), and I wasn't expecting the story about Aunt Mary, which subsequently caused me to spew water all over my keyboard. :)

Glad ya'll had a good trip!