Friday, October 24, 2008

Only on MATA



This morning on my way in to work, the bus was quite crowded. Lots of people heading to work or to shopping, some folks chatting, others asleep. And through the din, a little "mew, mew, mew." First I thought it was a crying baby. No babies on the bus. Then I realized it was a cat! Originally I thought the man in front of me had a cat in his duffle bag, but when he got off and the meowing continued, I saw that a young woman sitting in the front of the bus had a cardboard box that she was talking to. The poor little cat was mostly quiet, but sometimes meowed when the bus would start or stop. Jonathan and I have joked about how we are possibly going to get our cat to the vet for her annual vaccinations, and apparently this girl thought cardboard box was best!




It took me back to my mom reading Henry Huggins to me at bedtime. For those of you unfamiliar with the story, little Henry Huggins finds a stray dog (Ribsy) while he is out and about in town. He wants to take the dog home with him, but he has to take the city bus home. So, he puts Ribsy in a cardboard box and carries him on the bus : ) Now when I'm reading this story to my children one day, I can tell them about the day a lady had a cat on the bus!




No comments: