Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Update

There hasn't been all that much to write about lately. I know my left-wing nut job posts are only interesting to me (but just remember, without taxes and state-funded health care, I wouldn't have a job....) so I will spare you. I watched Amazing Grace the other night because I needed a good dose of how leaders in government can make a positive change. If you haven't seen it, you should (if you live in Memphis I will lend you my copy), as it tells the story of William Wilberforce, who passed the bill in the House of Commons abolishing slavery (as well as mandating free education and animal rights laws).

Running is going semi-okay. I am on the back end of a cold, and upper respiratory illnesses do not mix well with running. Late sunrises and early sunsets also do not mix well with running. If anyone reading this runs during the fall and winter outside, please give me some tips on how you manage it! We have a 10k this Saturday in Olive Branch, MS, and I am looking forward to the adrenaline of race day! Becky and I had a good 6-mile run a few weeks ago, but since then we've both been off our game. Hopefully this race will be the boost we need to make it through our last 6 weeks of half-marathon training.

Jonathan and I have made it over a month without the car, and we continue to do pretty well : ) I have unfortunately learned that the bus comes every twenty minutes in the morning, so I have been sleeping later and getting to work later! It was better for my work habits when I thought I had to catch the bus at 6:55 : ) I am also attributing the sleeping later with the cold.... We had a dinner party last Saturday to thank the friends who have transported us around this past month. We had a great time, despite my realization right before I put the chicken in the oven that it was FROZEN! That led to an 8pm dinner time instead of 7pm. Jonathan and I joked with our guests that we were just tricking them into holding our eating habits! We routinely eat dinner at 9 and 10pm. We're just Argentines at heart.

Work continues on, and like everyone I have good days and bad days. I'm still trying to settle into management, figuring out the balance between allowing my staff to make mistakes and hand holding so that they won't make mistakes on the front end. Is this training for motherhood? I must admit that with all of the baby announcements adorning my refrigerator, I do long for the day when I am herding little ones around my home instead of herding employees in an office.

Speaking of babies, I attended a baby shower today at work and ate way too much! The problem with bite sized food is that it doesn't feel like you are eating a lot until an hour after the party. We had a fun party, and the mom-to-be was so stunned that it took her a good five minutes to realize the party was for her!

So there is my update of the goings on in my life : )

4 comments:

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

Glad to hear things are going well. I'm sure your management position is preparing you for motherhood, everything in life helps with being a mother! Did you say you're coming in for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Domestic Kate said...

I like your "left-wing nut job" posts. I may totally disagree with you, but it's always good to hear from those who think differently.

I'm sorry you've been feeling crummy. I hope the run goes well this weekend!

Domestic Kate said...

OK, I just reread that first paragraph and it just doesn't sound right in tone. You know I mean that it's good to hear from others who think differently because it forces me to evaluate my own views... For some reason, on reread, it sounded snarky (I'm trying reeeaaallllyyy hard these days to watch tone, since it doesn't always come across appropriately in writing...).

I'm clearly tired and way over-analyzing things. Time for sleep!

Megan said...

Hi Amber - we're spending Christmas in Chattanooga, not sure how many days yet, but probably at least Wednesday - Sunday. Hope we can catch up with you at some point!