Saturday, October 18, 2008

Tired Legs and Bathroom Breaks

Becky and I ran our second 10k Saturday morning, and it went pretty well. We averaged about a 12 min/mile pace, and finished the race a good 30 minutes faster than we did our first 10k last year. We could have averaged more like an 11:30/11:45 min/mile pace if I had just taken a bathroom break before we started the race. I often feel the urge to pee after I've been running for a while, and I had the urge at mile 3.5, mile 4 and mile 5.5. Each time, I had to stop, or else pee my pants. I finally succumbed during the last mile, dashing into the woods while Becky waited at the side of the road. TMI, I know, but I just had to share : ) Despite the walk breaks for my bladder issues, Becky and I finished second and third respectfully in the race. Granted...there were four participants in our age group....All four of us finished within three minutes of one another, and I do feel guilty that I think we could have clinched first and second if I had just taken that one last bathroom break before the start. The half-marathon will be much better, because there is a mile-long line of port-o-potties at the starting line, and there are port-o-potties at every mile marker on the race course. I don't mind taking walk breaks because I am tired, but taking walk breaks for bathroom issues is frustrating!

So after the race, even after stretching a while, my legs and ankles were burning from the workout. Burning in a good way, but also in the way that makes you want to prop up your feet and watch football all afternoon. Did I do that? No, of course not. Becky and I hit the streets again at 2pm, this time sporting our matching "Rhodes Students for Obama" t-shirts, and we knocked on doors of registered Democratic voters to urge them to get out and vote. We hit 68 homes in a low-voter-turnout area of the city, and left a lot of leaflets on doors. Most folks we talked with were excited about the election and promised to vote this week in early voting.

After 1.25 hours of running and 3 hours of walking, I was pretty beat and ravenous! I had a Huey burger (real red meat Huey burger - I normally get turkey) for dinner and promptly fell asleep on my friend Justin's couch while he and Jonathan played video games. We went over to his house to socialize, but I just slept for two hours! Oh, I did wake up mid-nap to pee again...just to round out the day.

No comments: