Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How google maps has changed my life...

...and how it can change yours, too!

My wonderful husband downloaded an application onto my blackberry last week: google maps. Prior to this, when I needed to get directions somewhere, I would just use my web browser to get to mapquest and go from there. Apparently 'apps' are better than a mere web browser, so Jonathan helped me out. So how has this changed my life? Well, google maps has a transit option, so I can look up how to get places using the bus system. The MATA website should have this, but it does not, so 'thank you' google masterminds! This means that I can navigate nearly anywhere in Memphis with bus and walking directions on my Blackberry. I am already learning the pros and cons of this independence. Pro: I can now go places I thought I could not go. Con: I really sometimes can't go places I now think I can go. This is because MATA does not always run on time. So, if I think I have 20 minutes to walk to the bus, I will go ahead and start the trek, only to discover that the bus came 2 minutes early. I have learned that I need to add a 10 minute buffer onto either side of the google maps schedule.

So how can this change your life? Well, some of my friends do not think that public transportation could support them. With this google maps app, you can find out if it is possible to walk and take the bus to church, the store, school, work, etc. You may be able to switch out a trip or two to public transportation, which will help the environment and open up your mind to the experience of Memphians who rely on MATA everyday.

Wouldn't it be a fun adventure to try to make it to and from Target one Saturday afternoon using the bus system? Let me know how it goes!

No comments: