Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Back to the normal world

Jonathan and I received an incredible gift on Sunday - a car! It was a combined effort by his grandfather, grandmother, and parents, and we are very thankful that they were sweet and gracious to give this to us. It is a 2001 Subaru Forrester, and it has more miles on it than my poor Jeep, but it's engine works...the Jeep's engine does not work. I will post a picture soon : )

I must admit that I was skeptical at first. I did not want to take a hand out, and as I thought more about it, pride was at the heart of my attitude. Not only pride that I wanted to take care of myself instead of having others take care of me, but pride in being a little rebellious and living as a Memphian without a car. So, we accepted the gift, and I was still a little uneasy about it. But then as I was driving to an appointment Monday afternoon, it hit me..."Our family GAVE us a CAR!" There is no way that we could have afforded to buy this off of a lot, and it has been such a blessing in the three days we have had it! I have been able to help out my team more at work, Jonathan and I were able to grab a quick dinner together in between appointments last night, and my commute to work is now 15 minutes instead of an hour.

Downside to owning a car is that I have not walked more than a few hundred feet at a time since Sunday (when I walked from church to Jason's Deli for lunch). I am going to have to do something to get exercise into my life!! I think we will still walk for errands around our neighborhood, there will be days when Jonathan needs to car, so I will still take the bus to work, and I still plan to run to church on Wednesday nights as much as I can.

So, friends, hopefully you won't receive many more emails and phone calls from the Hulgans asking for transportation places. Thank you for your support over the past nine months : )

No comments: