Saturday, July 18, 2009

Start of the Memphis Marathon training season

If you are reading this and have not been outside today - get outside NOW! Memphis is enjoying an unseasonably cool, low humidity day in the middle of July, and it is fantastic!

This morning I headed out for the first marathon training run of the season at Breakaway running. No, I am not going to attempt the half marathon at 8 months pregnant. I want to try to stay as healthy as possible for baby, and peer pressure has always been my best motivator for exercise. There were a bunch of people at the store at 6:45am, most looking like seasoned runners but a few like me. My friend Justin from church was a welcome sight, and we ran the first three miles or so together. The group ran through Overton Park, and it was great! Thanks to the sub-70-degree temp, virtually no humidity, the pretty flat course, and the company of friends, I ran 5 miles (with a couple of walk breaks when my breathing got heavy). I was the last one back to the store, but I am very used to being at the back of the pack, and there were a handful of participants who only did 3 miles.

I know I cannot hope for similar weather for the rest of the summer, but the run this morning was encouraging. I originally thought I was completely back at square one fitness wise, and I would have to start this training season like last year - barely making it through 2 miles on the first day. Next Saturday is the Friends fo Life 5k at Shelby Farms. I am not going to try for any PRs, just a slow and steady pace to keep baby happy.

Oh, and I celebrated my accomplishment with pancakes from Cafe Eclectic! I pretty much came home and demanded (sweetly) that Jonathan take me there to eat : )

No comments: