Friday, February 5, 2010

First Week

Jon is 8 days old, and it is amazing how much has happened in just one week! I thought I'd share some firsts : )

Megan's firsts:
First time away from Jon: I went with my mom and sister to the grocery store on Monday afternoon. We were gone from the apartment for about 30 minutes, and yes...I cried when I told him goodbye before leaving for the store.
First time I could take care of myself since the C-section: I was able to dry off from my shower, get dressed, and tie my shoes on my own on Tuesday morning! I have never felt so humbled as when I had to have help from my husband to get out of the shower when I was first recovering.
First meal I cooked: I felt like I had been sitting around doing nothing, so I cooked a very simple pasta dinner Thursday night. Just fixing a meal made me feel a little bit more like a person!

Jon's firsts:
First bath: Jon didn't so much enjoy this bath Sunday night, but he recovered very quickly while snuggling with Jonathan.




First tummy time: I must admit that I'm not even sure how to engage Jon in tummy time. I just know we're supposed to do it! He does have some pretty strong neck muscles already. He doesn't cry during tummy time, but he does fall asleep : ) We've also enjoyed a lot of playing with his activity mat and some of his toys. Every day he spends more time awake and seems to be taking in everything with very wide eyes!
First walk: This was more for my benefit than Jon's! We got bundled up on Monday and walked about a block away from our apartment and back. It felt good for me to get out and stretch my legs, and hopefully Jon enjoyed the fresh air. It was our first time to use the Baby Bjorn, and we have learned that this device completely knocks our little boy out! We have taken him out in it three times, and he is always fast asleep in it (no matter what is going on around him) and sleeps for a long time after he is out of it.
First non-relative visitor at home: Becky and her mother came to visit us Wednesday morning! Jon was pretty much asleep the whole time, but he appreciated their visit : )

Jon also had his first trip to church on Wednesday afternoon while I took care of some World Mission Conference business, and he got to meet lots of wonderful people at 2PC. He had his first visit to Jonathan's office on Wednesday as well, and he got to meet people that Jonathan works with. Our first meal out with Jon was this afternoon to Lenny's by the Pottery Barn Outlet, where we bought some picture frames. He was in the Bjorn, so he was asleep the whole time : )

This first week has been so amazing, and I am very thankful for my mom staying in town to help us out while I fully recover from the C-section. She has helped clean, cook, do laundry, drive me around since I was advised not to drive, and watched Jon while I rested. We're on our own starting Sunday afternoon!

2 comments:

Becky Heineke said...

Wow do I look awkward holding your son. We're going to have to work on my baby-holding skills. Practice makes perfect!

I LOVE this blog entry Meg, and I LOVE the one that follows. What a first week! Thank you for sharing!!!! :)

Domestic Kate said...

Ahhhh - he's just too cute!! Looks like y'all are settling in well!