Monday, March 1, 2010

One Month!

Wow! Jon turned one month old on Sunday! It is crazy to think that we have had this little one with us for a whole month. As Jonathan and I were going to a church event Saturday night, I reminded him that a month earlier, we were in the Germantown Methodist waiting room (for 3 hours!) as there were no labor and delivery rooms available for us. On the one hand, that seems like an eternity ago, and on the other it seems like yesterday. A lot of people have asked me what it feels like to be a parent. Since Jon is so little, it is hard to say, but I can report that it is amazing and we love it! There are moments that are frustrating, but the sweet moments significantly outweigh them, and the little guy is totally worth it.

Here are some things I have learned in the past month:
* Taking charge with a schedule (a la Babywise) is very helpful, and I am pretty sure it has helped keep me sane and my baby happy.
* That said, my baby does not conform to the Babywise model perfectly. It took me a week to realize that if my baby does not nap like he is supposed to, it will be okay. The world will not end, Jon will not grow up to be an ax murderer, and I am not a horrible mother if my child does not nap for 1.5-2 hours every 3 hour cycle of the day.
* I am much more productive when I a) have a list of things to do each day, b) shower first thing in the morning, c) keep the TV turned off, and d) get out of the apartment at least for a little while each day.
* Jon does not like baths or having his diaper changed. Hopefully this does not mean that I will spend the next 18 years trying to get my son to stay clean.
* Pacifiers are at the same time my best friend and worst enemy : ) This is a delicate balance, and today was a good pacifier day.
* Praying for Jon always brings tears (of joy) to my eyes, because I am so grateful to God for this beautiful boy He has given me. I know raising him up will be possibly the most difficult thing I ever do, but I am so looking forward to it!

And finally, some more pictures:
Couldn't resist taking a picture of the faux hawk!


Trying out the Moby wrap.
I've used the Bjorn nearly every day, and I want to start using the Moby more. It is slightly more complicated, and Jon doesn't seem to like it quite as much. We're going to keep on trying, though : )

No comments: