Sunday, April 4, 2010

Adult update


So Jon has pretty much overrun my blog! Here is an update on the adults in our family:

Jonathan defended his dissertation last Monday, and it was approved by his committee!!! Jon and I attended the dissertation defense, and understood about 2% of what Jonathan said : ) I got a bit worried during the questioning part, because it seemed that one member of his committee was asking what the point was of his many years of research. Jonathan presented on three proofs he has come up with over a period of six years, and to hear someone questioning it was a bit unsettling for me. Jonathan was cool as cucumber, because he had anticipated those questions. The committee sent us out into the hallway while they deliberated for about 20 minutes, and we breathed a huge sigh of relief when Jonathan's advisor came out with a smile and 'congratulations.' After the decision, we chatted for a bit with the committee, and it was so sweet to see how several of the faculty members are very proud of Jonathan and his work. I am super proud of him, too! We celebrated at Jonathan's favorite restaurant, Texas de Brazil : ) Thank you, Becky, for babysitting!!
Waiting for the dissertation defense results

Math talk

Jonathan with Dr. Lehel
Is this what Jonathan will look like in the future??

Dr. Lehel, Dr. Bollabas, Jonathan, and Dr. Rousseau

I went back to work last Tuesday, and have really enjoyed getting back into the swing of things at Youth Villages. I am slowly getting back into my work routine, which involves a lot of phone calls, emails, planning, and replanning. I made a couple of mistakes, got a little overzealous at times, but I know it will take a little bit to return to normal functioning. I have a couple of big projects to work on this month, including developing a volunteer newsletter, overhauling our record keeping, and captaining Team Make a Difference for the YV5k on April 17th. Check out our team website! We are almost half way to our fundraising goal of $1000 : )

I have my sights set on the St. Jude Half Marathon in December! Even if Jonathan and I end up moving for his job, I have promised myself (and a few others) that I will run the race. The farthest I have run without stopping at this point is only 1.3 miles...so I have a long way to go. I ran a little over 2 miles with Becky a couple of weeks ago, but we had to stop to wait for crossing signals, so I had some breaks. I think I am going to try to run after work on the evenings when Jonathan does not work, and then I will continue walking with Jon on the evenings that Jonathan is teaching. Then Becky and I will run on Saturday mornings, and I'll take Sundays off. I need to get some cross training in there too. Playing with Jon is sometimes its own cross training! Anyone have tips on integrating some core or strength workouts into the mix?


2 comments:

Becky Heineke said...

Check out all of these great entries, Meg! I really enjoyed last weekend and I'm so, so glad I was there for so many of Jon's firsts. :) Also, go you on taking all of these fantastic pictures! Kara and I said we were going to take some throughout the weekend. And did we? No. Of course not. At least you were on top of things. :)

AND I want to tell you that you actually ran 1.7 miles without stopping. So you're even more awesome than you thought!

P.S. I'm hoping someone comes up with some core/strength training suggestions because I, for one, need some help in that area, too...

N said...

Megan, if you want to do some core strength training, you should try pilates-it's wonderful! It has helped me a lot since having a baby (though it took a few weeks to feel like my abs were even able to start working!). Hope that helps!
Congratulations to Jonathon as well!