Sunday, April 4, 2010

More firsts

So it has been just about two weeks since I have updated the blog, and a lot has happened since then! Jon continues to be a sweet, happy little boy. He is eating, sleeping, and playing wonderfully and we are very thankful for him!

First Math lecture:
Jon and I popped in to University of Memphis for the annual Erdos Conference, and we sat in on the lecture that looks back at the life of Paul Erdos. We also attended parties and Jon mingled with lots of international mathematicians : )
At the lecture (note Jon fast asleep)
Jonathan, Jon, Jackson & Jeff

With Dr. Gyarfas

With Dr. Lehel (Jonathan's advisor)

First walk with the stroller:
It took Jon a minute to get used to the stroller (he's not a fan of being strapped into things), but I do think he now enjoys going for walks in it. Becky and I took our first walk with the stroller through Overton Park, and it was nice because I could walk a bit faster with the stroller than with the Bjorn. I have taken Jon through the park several times, on the VECA greenline, around the Jefferson-Tucker neighborhood, and through Central Gardens. Sometimes he sleeps and sometimes he looks around wide-eyed. Jonathan and I have walked down to Cafe Eclectic a few times, and it is nice to have him in the stroller, because he can just stay in it asleep while we eat.

First picnic in the park:
With family in town for Jon's baptism and a gorgeous day, we headed across the street to Overton Park for a picnic. It was so much fun to get outside, eat yummy sandwiches, and just enjoy being together as a family. Jon got to experience the hippie drummers, lots of cute puppies, and (of course) the couple of random people drinking beer and smoking pot behind the wall of rainbow lake.
Aunt Katie & Jon

Enjoying the sunshine!

First 5k:
The Bunny Run was the first 5k I participated in back in 2007 when I decided to start running. I walked it and finished it in 44 minutes (or at least that is what I can gather from looking up old blog entries). I think it is only fitting that Jon's first 5k was also the Bunny Run. Kara pushed his stroller the first half of the race, and I pushed it the second half, and we finished in about 49 minutes. As you can see from the pictures, Jon did not like his bunny hat, but I think he had fun during the race. I hope to instill in him a love for the outdoors and exercise : )
Get this hat off of me!

Waiting for the start with Kara and Becky

Post race with Becky and Kara (Becky had a PR!!!)

First family 5k : )
First Easter:
We don't actually have any pictures of Jon from today. We went to the sunrise service, so obviously no pictures before church. It was our first time at the sunrise service. Before Jon came into our lives, we didn't function much before 8am. Now I'm up at 5am daily, so getting out at 6:30 wasn't that crazy. It was a lovely service at the Memphis Botanic Garden, and then we headed to the 8am service at church with my all time favorite processional hymn "Christ the Lord is Risen Today!" Jon was a very happy baby in church this morning! Too happy - he kept talking during prayer time, so Jon and I listened to Pastor Sandy from the narthex. When we started to get Jon out of his car seat after church, we noticed he was sitting in a puddle of his own lovely orange poop! Yep, right out the side of his diaper, all over his clothes and all over his car seat. The kid was all smiles and was cooing up a storm. This is not a child who hates being wet or dirty...he seems to like it! So I cleaned up Jon while Jonathan cleaned up the car, and we don't have any Easter pictures.

We have had lots of other firsts: first trip downtown, first visit to Huey's, first visit to Davis-Kidde, first time getting scared by something (Jonathan and I laughed as we consoled Jon, because he was too cute), and my first day back at work, which went considerably better than I thought it would.
Kara and Jon at Davis Kidde
"Thanks for visiting, Aunt Kara!!"

No comments: