Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jon's Baptism, 3/28/10

Our little boy was baptized on Palm Sunday, March 28, 2010. Baptism is a covenant sign of God's promise to care for us and our promise as parents to raise up our little one in a Christian home. We do not believe that baptism brings salvation (only faith does that), but baptism brings a child into the covenant family of the church. Jonathan and I took parental vows just as important as our marriage vows, and I had a very hard time keeping it together at the front of the church as we stated our vows. What an immense responsibility we are undertaking, but what a wonderful God we have who is going to help us! The members of our church also took a vow to help us raise Jon in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and hearing an entire church of people say "I do" to that promise was very special to me.

Jon wore a baptismal gown that was made for my great uncle John. The outer gown was made in 1922 by my great grandmother, Nana Radford (my paternal grandmother's mother), and the slip and bonnet were made in 1950 by my great grandmother, Great-Grandma Pollock (my paternal grandfather's mother). It was a very special day not only to celebrate Jon coming into the covenant family of the church, but also to remember the saints that have gone before him in our family.
With Aunt Katie

With Gramps & Grammie (my parents)

With Great-Gran and Great-Papaw
(Jonathan's maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather)
Four generations of Hulgan men:
Jonathan, Jon, Darren, and Donald
With Papa D and G-Ma (Jonathan's parents)

"Are we done taking pictures yet, Daddy?"


No comments: