Thursday, February 10, 2011

Revelations and Changes

Do you remember that feeling of 'coming home' that I felt as I drove over the I-40 bridge into Memphis in December? On Tuesday night, as I drove back to San Marcos from Austin after my 'quality' workout, I had that same feeling as I passed the Aquarena Springs exit. This is the first exit in San Marcos, and I had that 'whew, I'm home' feeling. It made me pause and reflect that this may be the first moment that I emotionally felt like San Marcos is home.

That feeling was just one revelation I had Tuesday evening. The other revelation was when my running coach told our group to 'engage our abs' as we ran down hills during our hill repeats. As I rounded the corner and started the descent of the block we were running, I focused on keeping my back straight, and...I engaged my abs. I thought, "Wow! I have abs to engage!" Granted, they are covered by several layers of fat, but deep down there, I could feel my muscles helping to keep my running form. This is due to the twice weekly core workouts I have participated in for the past month. I am always the weakest participant (I think I'm physically incapable of doing a side plank), but I'm there at least. As I ran down the hill, the coach nodded and commented that I had very good footfall. And this is why I pay money to drive 45 minutes each way, run 3 miles, and then run 20 minutes of hill repeats - to receive affirmation that I have abdominal muscles and that my feet hit the ground as they should.

In a few weeks, I'll take on a new challenge - becoming a WAHM, as Lindsey calls it. I have accepted a part time job as an office administrator for my church. The office, though, will be my living room. It really is a great set up - flexible hours, structured duties, and meaningful work. I'm hopeful that having this part time job will provide a little more balance in my life and help keep me focused. And if anyone in the world knows how to send out a bulleted email, it is me : )

Okay, now to head out to run some more and attempt side planks. (Please...please let there be NO side planks in core class tonight!) I will leave you with a picture of my little cutie. His sticker says "Brave Cowboy," and he received it from the office manager at our pediatrician after getting three shots.

No comments: