Saturday, April 14, 2012

Reading like a grown up

I have never been much of a reader. I left that up to my big sister, who seemed to always be reading a book when we were growing up. Rather, I've never been much of a reader of books. I have always enjoyed reading the newspaper and magazines, and good grief, I spend hours these days reading articles on npr.com, slate.com, nytimes.com, etc. Most books that I read are YA novels - Harry Potter, Peter and the Star Catchers, etc. This year, I have tried to read more like a grown up. The library has helped with that, since I go there twice a week for story time with Jon, and I don't have to pay for the books : ) I read Tina Fey's book and Mindy Kaling's book...I know, I know, not really adult books. Then I tackled Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Ughh.... About twenty pages into it, I called Becky and asked if this was what all grown up books were like. I hated it, but of course I read the whole thing. Then Charles Dickens' 200th birthday came around, and everywhere I was reading about what a fantastic author and legend he was, and I felt guilty for my skimming of A Tale of Two Cities in 11th grade. With Great Expectations set to air on PBS on April 1st, I checked the book out of the library with the goal of finishing it before I watched it on TV. Hah! I made it until Pip finds out the truth about his expectations, and by then, I was tired with the writing, I was yelling at Pip to leave London, make up with Joe, and marry Biddy! Why didn't he marry Biddy?! I had absolutely no patience for Miss Havisham or Estella. So, I watched the Masterpiece version before finishing the book, and I am glad I did. Seeing it on screen made me feel a bit of empathy for Estella, which I don't think I ever would have if I had just finished the book. With the due date upon me, I skimmed the rest of the book, as if cramming for an English Lit test, and dropped it back off at the library yesterday. What I am left with is a great sense that Charles Dickens wasn't such a fantastic author after all. Am I alone in feeling like all of his books have the same plot? Orphan, new found riches, wait - being rich isn't that great, now I'm poor again but happy? Maybe that's just the books that have been made into PBS television shows...

Any tips on what I should read next in my quest to read like a grown up? The Hunger Games have been suggested, but that's just more YA!


**After writing this, I must add that I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last year while on vacation. Very good! Highly recommended!

7 comments:

Stacey Hays said...

I love a good mystery...Sue Graftons Alphabet mystery series!

Michelle Adair said...

I loved The Help :)

Domestic Kate said...

Second The Help. Also love good, mindless mysteries (Baldacci, Preston & Childs, et al). And, there's always Jane Austin - her books never get old to me. For nonfiction, currently reading a book called Tinderbox, which looks back at the history of colonial Africa and how that played a major role in the rise and spread of HIV. Well-written - haven't been able to put it down. Also, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - read it in two days, it was so good.

And, I love to read and could not get into the Larssen books to save my life. I think for those, ya either love em or hate em. :)

Unknown said...

I just finished the third Hunger Games book, and I will admit, they are total crack. Of course, still YA crack, but I did love them.

I enjoy lots of books that a friend recently referred to as "candy" books - easy-to-read fiction. I think the Maisie Dobbs series is a tiny step above candy - easy-to-read mysteries set in post WWI London that always say something interesting about history and culture.

The only non-candy book I've read recently is "Freedom" by Jonathan Frantzen. I was pleasantly surprised - it's not an easy read, and I didn't like any of the characters (I don't think you're supposed to!), but it was a very thought-provoking commentary on our modern culture, being a stay-at-home mom, selfishness, love, and, of course, freedom! Also, it had a bit of redemption at the end, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Also, I'm looking forward to reading "The Art of Fielding" and "The Marriage Plot," although I can't comment on whether they're good or not.

Unknown said...

Oops - that "unknown" comment is Katie McCray!

Domestic Kate said...

Have also seen a couple of promos for Madeleine Albright's new book - looks like a very interesting read. "Prague Winter."

Megan said...

When I was in high school, I wanted to BE Madeleine Albright! I should check out the book - thanks