Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Still here!

I've been out of the habit of regular blogging, but since I check the blogs of my long lost friends daily, I thought I should at least add my own info : ) Life continues on at its usual pace! Jonathan is immersed in the job hunt for the 2012-2013 school year as well as teaching the high school kids by day and the college kids by night. Jon is a typical 2-year-old with all of the joys and challenges. And I'm trying to keep up with everything involved in keeping a household running. Dinner is always on the table, cookies are usually in the cookie jar, laundry is folded, bills are paid, plants are watered, bathrooms are cleaned, and sometimes the floors get vacuumed! In all honesty, I do not know how families with two working parents do it! When Jon was a baby and I was working full time, Jonathan was home during the day (he worked at night) and took care of a lot of the household stuff. Now that he is working full time, and I'm just part time (my job is from home), I take care of the household stuff. If I was at work away from home all day, there is NO way we could get all of the everyday stuff at home taken care of. I just don't have that much energy!! Kudos to families who make it happen!!

Here are some pictures to share of our adventures over the past few months:

Spring Break with the Hulgan family:


Jonathan's father and grandfather looking out at the cows on the Hulgan family homestead in Alabama. (Note: we will never get this...I think it's going to a 2nd cousin or something...)

Jonathan had to hold Jon, because there was an electric fence, and Jon kept wanting to pet the cows!

Playing with G-Ma (Jonathan's mom) in the front yard in Chattanooga.


Back in San Marcos, enjoying a trip to the park.


Jon is looking at an ant here. When we walk anywhere, he has to stop and pick up sticks or rocks and look at ants and butterflies. I love it! Although it did take us 30 minutes to walk to preschool this morning (when he is in the stroller, it takes me about 5 minutes!)

I used to think I had unlimited patience with Jon - nothing seemed to rattle me too much. Then...he turned 2! I have learned that whining is my mama weakness - it grates on my every nerve, and it makes me a mad woman! Two times this week, I have had to leave the room and calm myself down before intervening in one of Jon's whining tantrums. If I had a dollar for every time I say, "Jon, I cannot understand you when you whine. Please speak like a normal person," I would be rich! I suppose I should stop telling him to speak like a normal person, but it is usually what comes out of my mouth. The funny thing is that when he does repeat his request without whining, it is like robot Jon, "May-I-have-more-grapes-please-Mama!" with each word punctuated. Oh well, I would take Robot Jon over Whiner Jon any day : )


Still sleeping in his crib. We contemplated getting a real bed for him, especially after he slept in one at his grandparent's house. But I must admit that it is nice to still have him penned in a little, so we're holding off on the 'big boy bed' for now. I'm sure by the summer, we'll have him switched over.


Rolling dough! I let him play with some scraps from a pie, and he had a lot of fun : )

Jon learned at school to say 'cheese' when taking pictures. Now I can't get a shot without him making his 'cheese' face! I prefer his 'real' smile, but I'll take what I can get : )
(ignore my recycling pile behind Jon's head!!)

2 comments:

Stacey Hays said...

So glad to "hear" from you!

Becky Heineke said...

Aw, GREAT POST, Meg!! I always love seeing new pictures and hearing about the day-to-day goings on of the Hulgans. :) Thanks for posting this!

(AWESOME layout, by the way. ;))