Saturday, September 6, 2008

Personal Best 5k

Yay! This morning Becky and I finished up our MRTC Women's Running program with a 5k at Audubon Park. It was a perfect morning for a race - cool and cloudy! Becky was not feeling well - she's been plagued by different illnesses for the past few weeks : ( - so we split up pretty early in the race. I thought I was doing a good job of keeping a moderate pace on my first mile, but I ran it in 10:50 (which is fast for me!) - too fast. The second mile was done in 11 minutes (also fast for me), and the third mile plus 200 meters was done in 11:33. I still need to work on negative splits, but a 33.23 5k is my personal best! I kicked the last quarter mile or so really hard because two girls were in front of me that I did not want to beat me : ) They were bragging about running the 2007 half-marathon in 10 minute miles during our training runs. Based on their performance in our training runs, I find that hard to believe.... They were a couple of people ahead of me the whole race, and I am sure that seeing their backs for three miles helped me run faster. Becky amazingly finished in 34 minutes while being sick! I missed her finish, and I got really scared after I waited for about 20 minutes at the 3 mile marker that she was passed out on the side of the road. Not so! Personal records for both of us : )

Next big goal is a 10k on October 18th. We'll have 5 weeks of half marathon training between now and then, so I think we'll be pretty good. Our outcome in the 10k will give us a good estimate of how we'll do in the half marathon. December 6th is coming up soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You're inspiring me to get off my butt. I'm aiming for the 5K Pumpkin Run in Oct. It's now out there in writing. Now I have to do it!!!

Megan said...

I would volunteer to run it with you, but when Jonathan last checked our bank statement online, he asked "Do you really have to pay to run?" So, I'm trying to limit myself to run just the 10k between now and the marathon! The Ridgeway Loop is a bit hilly, so I would recommend training on some hills before the race.

Becky Heineke said...

Yay! We are awesome! Also, this is totally off-topic, but I meant to tell you earlier that I STILL haven't been able to get through to the Democrats. So if you hear anything before I do, please let me know! :)

Also, we are going to destroy the 10k. I'm making the prediction. ;)

Callen and Michael Martin said...

Hey...you commented on one of my blog posts. Did you know we have a common friend? Kelly Davenport....small world.