Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My favorite cookies

I made cookies last night for a cookie swap on Thursday, and I thought I would share. Although I am a self proclaimed chocoholic, these are my absolute favorite cookies. I think that is because this is a family recipe. The shortbread has been made in my family for generations, originating in Scotland. Every time I knead the dough I think about my grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great-grandmothers all making this same dough over the years. Oh, and I learned an important lesson yesterday - do not keep your blackberry on the kitchen counter while baking! There is this cookie dough lodged in between the keys!!


Jam Tarts

Ingredients:
1 lb butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar (for dusting)
Raspberry jam

Directions:
Beat butter and sugar using paddle attachment until well combined and fluffy. Add flour, small amounts at a time, and mix to incorporate. This may take a while. Dump out dough onto clean surface and knead by hand until dough is smooth and glossy. Roll small amounts of dough between two pieces of parchment paper until approximately 1/8 inch thick. You do not want the dough to be too thin. Cut out cookies using symmetrical cutters (any shape is okay), and cut small holes in half of the cookies (these will be the tops). Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes until set and just barely light brown on edges. Cool on racks. Dust the tops with powdered sugar. To assemble, spread a teaspoon or two of raspberry jam on the bottom cookies and place tops over the jam. If making ahead of time, wait to assemble with jam until just before serving, since they can get soggy if sitting too long.

1 comment:

Domestic Kate said...

Aggghhh... I'm so sorry I missed these. I love these cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe!