Monday, December 15, 2008

Three months...

Well, we've made it three months without a car! Let me tell you, it feels like an eternity, not a quarter of a year! I have had my ups and downs, days when I never want a car again, and days when I am tempted to just head out and get a big huge car loan to put me out of my misery!!

I must say thank you to all of the people who have helped us out with rides over these months: Becky, Justin, Catherine, Leigh, Lee, Ashley, Dorothy, Josh, Becca, Lesley, LaShonda, Gwen, Martha, the Vitullos, the Marks, the Coplins, and probably plenty more people I am forgetting! There are times and places in Memphis that are just simply not friendly for public transportation, and we could not have made it three months without the help of our friends. We were concerned at the beginning about getting to and from church, since MATA significantly decreases its service on Sundays, but thanks to wonderful friends at church it has never been a problem. Ashley took me to the grocery store the other night when it was raining, and it was such a blessing. I think that if nothing else, our not having a car gives our friends a way to help someone else out, to do their 'good deed' for the day as it were.

Some more great things about not having a car are exercising every day whether I want to or not, more face time with my husband since we walk everywhere together, less stress about crazy drivers/maintenance/break ins, and a bit slower pace to life. On Sunday, we walked to the grocery store from lunch, and we had about 40 minutes to wait until the bus came to take us home, so we just sat at Starbucks and had a drink, read through some Christmas gifts we had purchased at the bookstore, and talked a bit. We weren't rushed, we just sat and enjoyed our time.

Thanks again to everyone who has been so willing to help us out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there! i came across your blog accidentially through a google alert from my client, breakaway running. :) so fun! how are you working without a car? are you still at YV???

crissy smith

Megan said...

Hi Crissy! I love Breakaway Running - they definitely have helped me get in semi shape this year! I am now in an administrative position in foster care at YV, so I rarely need a car. When I do need to get out to see a family or go to a mtg, I either borrow a car or rent one for the day. It's been a bit of a challenge, but it is working out pretty well. I hope you are doing well - good to hear from you : )

Unknown said...

well that is just great! i would love not to have a car. i like reading your blog...so motivating. :) i am trying to start running again, and was loving your year-by-year account of progress. i seem to be going backwards - but i had an injury that has significantly hurt my efforts. soooo, i'm trying! i'm glad you're doing well!!!
crissy