Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Running with kids...at work!

As I came into the building today, a coworker asked me how I am enjoying my new position (I have been the Volunteer Coordinator now for about 2 months). "It's great!" I responded, "Yesterday I got paid to run with kids!"

We have a running club at two of our residential campuses, and since it is a volunteer-run program, I have been out there the past two weeks meeting with the volunteers and running with the kids. It is such a joy to see these children running! The first week, I ran with a boy who kept saying, "Miss Megan, this is the farthest I've ever run in my whole life!" I didn't get to run with him yesterday, but he and a volunteer passed by me on the track and he had a HUGE smile on his face! Here are some more highlights from yesterday's run:

* A girl - who swore she would not run at all - smiled as we helped her finish her mile in a sprint!
* A boy yelling back to me, "Have a good day, Miss Megan" as he left the track with his group.
* Several kids checking with Spunky to find out whether their finishing times this week were better than last week.

We have running club every Monday from 4-5:30, Tuesday from 4-5:30 and Saturday 10-11:30 if any of you would like to join in the fun!

No comments: