Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reunion Weekend!

Hmmm...maybe I should start taking a camera with me when I do fun things...

I don't actually have any documentation, but I promise that I had a fun time at my 5th college reunion last weekend! Several friends from far away came into town for the event, and it was fun to just hang out with the girls for the weekend. Here are some highlights:

Friday night: Alumni reception where "eeeeeee!!! *jump*jump*jump*" was the quote of the night as friends saw each other for the first time in several years. Then on to Celtic Crossing where they played ridiculously loud music, but we had fun spotting more friends from out of town. I went home after Celtic Crossing, but other friend headed out to the Saucer. Hmmm...maybe for the next reunion I should not be pregnant....

Saturday morning: I got my Ina Garten on with a brunch for friends. Seriously, I think I may have a complex. I pretty much hopped out of bed at 7:30am on a Saturday, eager to bake scones and mix up a frittata. We also had yogurt/fruit/granola parfait, maple bacon, and mimosas. Hmmm...maybe for the next reunion I should not be pregnant...

Saturday afternoon: We walked to Rhodes, and split up so that I could practice the National Anthem with girls from my old a capella group. After rehearsal we had about 45 minutes to kill, so I walked across campus to mingle at the Economics and International Studies open houses. I saw a couple of professors and tried to sound like I was using my undergraduate degree in my current line of work. I talked a bit too long, and had to almost sprint back across campus in time to literally run onto the football field and sing the National Anthem. Hmmm...maybe for the next reunion I should not be pregnant... After the football game, we walked around campus, stalked our dorms and classrooms, and checked out some improvements on campus. Then a walk back home, a moment to rest and then a late lunch/early dinner at Huey's.

Saturday night: The fifth year reunion party was outside on a pretty cold night, so we spent the majority of the evening huddled around heaters, watching a slideshow of classmates from college. There were pretty much no pictures of my group of friends, but that is because we were lame and did not submit any for the slideshow. The highlight (or at least the shocker) of the slideshow was a picture of three classmates riding the lynx in the nude. I had a chance to catch up with some friends, and it was great to hear what everyone is up to. Since I am boycotting Facebook, I actually talked with people and had nice conversations to learn about their lives.

We left campus (although not before Becky rode the lynx - fully clothed - and traumatized some current students), and I drove my friends downtown to drop them off at the next stage of the reunion party on Beale Street. I, of course, drove home and went to bed, although I had my phone on ringer next to my bed in case someone needed a ride back home. I sometimes think I am a 45 year old woman stuck in a 27 year old body.

Sunday morning: After church, I met the girls for brunch at Cafe Eclectic, where I had a surprise baby shower waiting for me. Well...almost a surprise. Kara had possibly divulged the secret under the influence of vodka the evening before, but we are not holding it against her. Baby Hulgan got some fun clothes, books, toys, a sling, and a jogging stroller from his/her many wonderful aunts-to-be. After hugs and goodbyes, I went home and took a nap!

It was so much fun to see everyone, catch up, and act a bit like a college student for the weekend! 5 years has gone by pretty quickly, and I'm sure it will just be within the blink of an eye that we are celebrating our 10th reunion. In the meantime, I need to get a nice camera and start taking pictures of all these events!!

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! I didn't take many pictures, either, but I set up a Photobucket page so Kara, Crystal, and Kathryn could upload their photos. So far, they have not done so. :( But when (if) they do, I'll send you the link!

I laughed out loud every time I read, "Hmmm...maybe for the next reunion I should not be pregnant...." HAHA! :) Aw, I had a really good time this weekend, even if it was over way too fast. Thanks so much for driving us around and putting up with our drunken silliness. We will DEFINITELY return the favor for you at the 10-year reunion. ;)

And now you have inspired me to get my ass in gear on my own recap. It's, er, running a little long at this point...