Saturday, March 22, 2008

SUCCESS!

Today was the Bunny Run 5k, and yes people, I finally ran an entire 5k from start to finish!! I ran in three 5ks last year, but walked at least some bits of them. I ran in a 10k (hmmm...I shouldn't say 'ran,' because I honestly walked 9/10ths of it), and didn't finish in time to actually get a time. I ran/walked a half marathon as well, which I do feel was a bit of an accomplishment.

But now, NOW, I truly feel like I am a runner. Granted, some walkers finished before I did, but I'm going to forget about that for the time being. I even got my targeted time: 36 minutes. That's a PR for me! It's a steady 12 minute mile, which is perfectly fine in my book. I would eventually like to get up to a 10 minute mile, but I'm not working on speed this year, I'm working on distance. The next goal is the MLK Memorial Day 10k. I have 9 weeks to add three more miles; we'll see how that goes. The YV 5k is April 19th, so I'll see how I'm doing at the half-way point.

I'm feeling really good physically and emotionally. My cheerleaders are Becky, Katie and Jonathan, and I can't thank them enough. For some of you, running three miles might be a piece of cake, but it has taken me a year to reach this goal, and I am basking in my victory!

And it's Easter weekend! How awesome is that : ) I loooove Easter, and I lose it every Easter morning at some point during the service because God is so good to me!

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

Ah. I am seeing the downside of you blogging over here. I have not yet gotten into the habit of checking regularly and you've been blogging up a storm! :)

I hope you're feeling good right now! You've earned it...and thanks for running with me that last half mile or so because there is NO WAY I could have done it if you hadn't been there. :) Bring on the 10k!