Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ear Infections and Lightning

Two interesting things have happened to me in the past 24 hours. First, about midday on Friday, my voice almost completely went out and I started burning up. The office first aid kit's thermometer measured my temp at 100. I'm a 97 degree kind of girl, very rarely do I actually register "normal," so I was slightly concerned. Around 3pm I got a headache and was concerned (please don't make fun of me, but I have some mosquito bites...and yes, West Nile did pop into my head), so I got an appointment at my PCP for later in the afternoon. Well, I have an ear infection. I thought only babies and toddlers got ear infections! I seriously did not think adults got these, but now I have one. This is why Jonathan and I skipped out on our Sunday School class's game night. With all the babies and pregnant moms out there, I didn't want to give my germs to anyone.

I did end up getting out to the Friends for Life 5k this morning. I didn't run the whole thing : ( I walked about three stretches that probably totaled 3/4ths of a mile. I finished in 40 minutes...my worst time since I've started training. Uggh... But, interesting thing that happened is this. Around the 2.5 mile mark, it started raining. For a few minutes it was wonderful and felt great! Then the lightning came!! When I reached the 3 mile marker, I saw a huge bolt of lightning and immediately heard the crash of thunder. I mean immediate! Like, the lightning hit quite close. Eek! I sprinted harder than I ever have that last tenth of a mile and ran into the building. So even though I didn't run a very good race, I think I came as close as I ever have to a lightning stike!

Becky's parents both won 2nd place in their age divisions : ) Yay Jane and Tom!!

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

Hee hee. I love that my parents have made a cameo on your blog! :) I wonder if you and I will ever luck our way into winning medals...probably not.

You had a pretty traumatic couple of days. :( No good. That whole 5k was just doomed from the beginning, I think...