Monday, November 9, 2009

Cafe Eclectic is crawling with Rhodents!!

I am a bad person. Jonathan and I always breath a huge sigh of relief when December 20-something hits or May 20-something hits and all of the Rhodes students GO AWAY FROM MIDTOWN! Then there is always January 20-something or August 20-something when we realize there are a few more luxury cars on the roads with out-of-state plates, and you can no longer enjoy a meal at Central BBQ, Huey's or Memphis Pizza Cafe. I am a bad person, because not too too long ago, I was one of them (minus the luxury car, of course).

Tonight I am eating dinner alone at Cafe Eclectic, because - ironically enough - Jonathan has a dinner at Rhodes. Yes, he is going to all of the extracurriculars that he can to hopefully prove to the Math powers-that-be that he would be a totally awesome professor, and they should hire him in 2010. There are multiple study groups here right now, and I hear snippets of "short answer question, we can do this" mixed with "do you think this is store bought hummus or do they make their own?" Ah, Rhodents....

Since I have married an academic, I should get used to the college-town vibe. Jonathan is immersed in job applications currently, and every now and then he tells me about a new school that has made the list of places where he will apply. I have always thought that staying in a city would be the best possible living situation for our family, since we enjoy city life. We like being in an apartment; we like going to sleep to the lullaby of homeless rants outside our window; we like being less than 5 minutes from every possible thing we could ever need (minus Target). However, Jonathan is applying to some schools in the middle.of.nowhere. It makes me wonder what we will think about the great college student migration in a place where half of the population is college students!

No comments: