Monday, December 14, 2009

Pancake Study Break!


For Rhodes students, pancake study break is a highlight of the Fall semester! The Sunday night of finals between 9pm and 11pm, the Refectory is opened and faculty and staff serve pancakes to hungry, sleep-deprived students. The tables are also lined with butcher paper and students can color with crayons to release some energy before returning to exam cramming. I always loved pancake study break : )


Since Jonathan is an instructor at Rhodes this semester, he received the call for volunteers and asked if I wanted to help out. Of course!! We grabbed a quick dinner after church Sunday night, and headed over to Rhodes. Despite a rocky start (no one was really there to tell the volunteers what to do...), we quickly got into a pancake-making groove. I poured the batter and sprinkled the chocolate chips while Jonathan flipped! We were cooking in the kitchen, but I was able to catch a few glimpses of students when I would bring pans of freshly prepared chocolate-chip pancakes out to the serving area. They looked a little weary, but seemed to be having fun!


For Rhodes dorks out there, it was pretty cool to see the kitchens, and we even got a tour of the super-creepy basement as we were frantically trying to find chocolate chips and blueberries!


I took a couple of pics of Jonathan flipping pancakes, and I'll try to get them from his iPhone to share.

1 comment:

Becky Heineke said...

YOU GOT TO GO IN THE BASEMENT? I am so jealous right now. You do not even know.

Aw, I LOVED the pancake study break! That's fantastic that you got to participate from the other side of things. Come to think of it, I never even put any thought into who was making the pancakes...I learn so many things from you...